Monday, June 2, 2014

Modern Hot Hatches: Focus VS Fiesta

Since I went off the deep end for automobiles, I've always liked hot hatchbacks. The concept itself just defines everything that is good about cars: fast, nimble, loud, blaring, convenient, comfortable, practical, and efficient. What more could one want in a car? Well I've just had a go in both of Ford Motor Company's newest hot hatchbacks, the Focus ST and the Fiesta ST.
My first experience in a friend's Focus was absolutely terrible. It was a 2003 base model, and just miserable in every way. Boring to drive, catastrophically slow, not pleasant to look at, and hardly great on fuel. The new Focus ST is completely different in every single aspect from that old dreary base model, without sacrificing fuel economy. A 252 horsepower fire breathing monster lives under the hood of this hatch, making it great for screaming from stoplight to stoplight in the city teaching Volkswagen GTI's a lesson, yet also sipping fuel for 31 MPG's on the highway. That nails down fast and efficient, but what about all those pieces in between?

One look at the Race Red paint proves that this car is loud and blaring, and theres also enough room in the back to move a college kid home for summer break. With starting prices of around $25,000 its very affordable, so on paper the car looks great, but how is it to drive? Put it in first and mash the throttle and you'll be pushed back in the seat by 270 foot pounds of torque, more than you get out of a Nissan 370Z! The steering wheel tugs a bit at you under hard acceleration, which I absolutely love in a front wheel drive car. It makes the car feel like its got serious muscles, and if you don't fight back it WILL kill you. Though most people complained about the torque steer, its easily handled by one arm, and makes the experience a little more involved. Thrown into a corner the car does feel a bit softer than expected, with a bit more body roll than I would expect from a serious performance car, but overall it does handle quite well. I found myself taking an entrance ramp a bit too hot and the car pushed wide just a hair, then to my amazement everything sorted itself out and the car almost felt like it was in a power oversteer drift. Upon exiting the corner a tug of the steering wheel in second gear reminded me like a slap on the wrist not to get lazy with this car again; it requires serious attention.

The cheaper Fiesta ST is a bit more refined feeling than its bigger brother. Less power, but less weight means this hatch didn't feel too terribly much slower in a straight line than the bigger Focus. Both cars I tested were optioned with the Recaro seats, which felt phenomenal while cornering yet comfortable while cruising. That was one option I consider absolutely mandatory, I could live without all the other goodies. The smaller, lighter Fiesta had noticeably less body roll, but never gave me that tingly might-be-going-sideways feeling of the Focus. The Fiesta's engine also seemed a bit livelier: rev matching downshifts just seemed delightfully easy where I could never nail the downshifts on the Focus. It was never really an issue in the Focus and I'm sure with more practice I could have been on point with downshifts, but the Fiesta just seemed natural and relaxed rowing through the gears.
On paper both Focus and Fiesta ST are fantastic hot hatch's. These cars deliver in every way: you see them coming from a mile away, you could take them to the track and post some very respectable lap times, yet I could nearly pack up all my belongings in either of them. The difference lies in the attitude of the beasts: the sweet and forgiving Fiesta ST or the girlfriend from hell who won't hesitate to slap you in the face and try to kill you if you forget to pay her attention. I, for one, love the passionate intensity of driving the muscular Focus, but if refinement and precision is your cup of tea; I present to you the 2014 Fiesta ST.

No comments:

Post a Comment